Business Accountant

Home » Accountant » What steps do you need to follow to form a company?

What steps do you need to follow to form a company?

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 8,109 other followers



Young woman with checklist over shoulder shot

Years ago you would go to a formation agent and buy an off the shelf company and re-name it but now its much easy to create a company from scratch using a formation agent. There are many agents out there, but you could use where you can form a company from £16.99 or you can do it direct with Companies House.

You will need to know:

  1. The company name (that hasn’t already been used and isn’t restricted)
  2. The names, addresses and dates of birth for directors and shareholders
  3. Registered office address
  4. You will also need to security information for the directors and shareholders (eye colour, mothers maiden name, place of birth)

The company will often be formed within a day, once you know the company registration number you can open a bank account. To do this you will normally need to visit your bank and show them two forms of ID.

HMRC will send form CT41G to the registered company address.

The CT41G form is issued to newly registered companies. This form includes your company’s Unique Taxpayer Reference .You will need it to contact HMRC. It also tells you what you need to do if your company has become ‘active’ and suggests other tax implications your company may need to consider.

HMRC will also ask if you want to appoint an agent (accountant) and this is done with form 64-8.

To register for PAYE you will need to know:


  • name, business name, partner’s name, company name (as appropriate)
  • business or home address, including postcode (as appropriate)
  • business or home telephone number
  • a contact email address
  • a contact telephone number
  • a name and address to send correspondence to
  • the date of your first payday or, if earlier, the first date you made payments of expenses and/or provided benefits to your employees

Follow this link if you need to register for the Construction Industry Scheme

VAT registration is done on line


  1. driscollpaul says:

    Steve, we tend to do this direct with Companies House at which can be done in minutes and includes an option to inform HMRC of the proposed first year end date as part of the same submission. Regards, Paul

  2. driscollpaul says:

    PS above link may be broken; try Regards, Paul

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Follow Business Accountant on

Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

%d bloggers like this: